Re: [Phys-l] Kozol fasts to protest NCLB

Minnesota has a small program that allows for Alternative Teacher Perfomance Pay System. School districts get additional money if they make significant changes to the steps & ladder system. This must include:
a district goal that is quantitative.
a personal goal that is quantitative
an additional personal goal
teacher observations

Our district goal has been to improve our math scores.
The state changed the test. The state average score went from ~65 to ~45. We were well above average in our Lake Wobegon. However, we were lower than the previous year. Didn't meet our goal. As an aside, it sure was nice fodder for the news to address how our math scores dropped. No mention of a new test. Just a discussion on how dreadful our schools must be.

My personal goal has been to use the fci and have a gain of >25. I think this is one of the few goals that can't be fudged much. I've heard discussions of having a test average of greater than x%. Not bad, but do you allow retakes?

The teacher observations: we've got a pretty good deal at the h.s. We have 2 well respected teachers that teach ~1/2 time and are Observer/Coaches (official title) the other ~1/2 time. Additionally, we have a person that is a teacher & part time ATPPS coordinator.
We have 3 Observer Coach observations & 1 principal observation on preselected days. Every teacher knows they are coming. We know what types of things on which we will be evaluted. We must average proficient ( on a 1-4 scale, a 3 where 4 is best & 1's better change career paths).

For each goal we meet, we earn a salary bonus (paid for by the state's atpps program). Those that meet the observation / proficiency standards will advance to the new version of our step. Those that do not meet the observation / proficiency standards do not advance a step. That is a significant motivator.

Our system is paid for entirely by the state's atpps program. When the state cuts funding, we'll probably drop the program. Too bad, but the program would be too expensive otherwise. We'd have to increase our class sizes to a rediculous amount to use this program without the state's funding.

I've heard some say that scheduled teacher observations are not a realistic representation of what a teacher does on a daily basis. That is not true for most of us (at least most of those I speak with about this at work). For those of whom this is true, I believe that 4 home-run lessons would encourage those teachers to use those effective methods (they have to be effective to be home-runs) more often throughout the year.

Long post.

Have a good one.

To wonder is to begin to understand.

Paul Lulai