Re: [Phys-l] Kozol fasts to protest NCLB

While I get very tired of Bernard's constant postings of politically charged (his politics) offerings, this one is particularly slanted. Note that there is no mention of the reason for NCLB--the droves of illiterate graduates that our school systems have been turning out, largely (but not exclusively) amongst minority students. Those teaching at the College/University level certainly have felt the decline in math and reasoning skills and I suspect our colleagues in English have seen the same with writing and vocabulary.

Like most of what the Federal Government does, whether it is education, military actions, homeland security, federal intervention in local/state issues or the like, NCLB is an over reaction to real problems. However, the basic idea that to graduate from a public school program one needs to demonstrate some minimal level of skill and knowledge is exactly in keeping with the purposes of taxpayer funded education. That the set of skills and knowledge are so ill-formed in most states is largely the fault of those states. State standards (here in Indiana is no exception) get burdened down by every whim and pet topic of those who end up developing the standards--and the tests. So, in the end, those minimal skills and basic knowledge that we could probably (mostly) all agree with, become totally unwieldy and so expansive that they do tend to set the entire curriculum for teachers rather than just the 'core' curriculum. Again, blame your state education system for this. That the means for enforcing NCLB is draconian, that you can lay on the Federal Government. However, the notion below that if little Joey has a nice idea behind a nearly incomprehensible essay, that should be OK really doesn't fly--at least not with me. Personally, I would prefer a series of gate-keeper tests (to middle school, to high school, for graduation) that really focus of basic skills and knowledge. I'm less sure what to do about given schools or given systems in which students consistently fail to achieve those basic skills and knowledge, but I do know that a BIG part of the responsibility needs to go back onto the students themselves and equally as important their parents. [And there's the rub with today's society--are there parents present and are they involved in their children's education? BC will have a harder time (but I'm sure he'd find a way) to blame that situation on GWB.] ;-)

Rick

***************************
Richard W. Tarara
Professor of Physics
Saint Mary's College
Notre Dame, IN
rtarara@saintmarys.edu
******************************
Free Physics Software
PC & Mac

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bernard Cleyet" <bernardcleyet@redshift.com>

JONATHAN KOZOL - This morning, I am entering the 67th day of a partial
fast that I began early in the summer as my personal act of protest at
the vicious damage being done to inner-city children by the federal
education law No Child Left Behind, a racially punitive piece of
legislation that Congress will either renew, abolish, or, as thousands
of teachers pray, radically revise in the weeks immediately ahead.

cut