Re: [Phys-l] Kozol fasts to protest NCLB

At 17:09 -0600 9/18/07, Larry Smith wrote:

It is true that generally all teachers get the same raise, regardless of
quality. Maybe that needs to be examined with merit pay in mind,

The problem with merit pay in the public sector is that public payrolls are a matter of public record, and nothing, it seems to me can destroy faculty morale faster than seeing a colleague that is not considered meritorious by the other teachers, getting additional pay for what they believe to be spurious reasons. Often the teacher evaluations by administrators are done by preprinted checklists which require that certain actions be carried out by the teacher, irrespective of whether they may be appropriate under the specific conditions that may exist during the evaluation. There is often little room for subjective evaluations of how well the teacher connects to the students and gets them involved in the learning process, or in the effectiveness of a pedagogical technique that may be well-suited to the teacher's personality, but not specifically authorized by some higher authority.

but while
philosophically in favor of merit pay, it seems hard to carry out in
practice, especially with the unions around.

I agree that it is hard to carry out in practice, but I question whether it is specific to unions. North Carolina, where I taught, has a state law forbidding public employees from engaging in any sort of collective bargaining, and yet there is no pressure for merit pay within the schools. I think that the proposal that I put forward a few days ago on this list could effectively deal with the issues of merit pay without running afoul of unions, primarily by involving the teachers themselves in the decisions about who would be "promoted" to higher teaching grade levels.

However, I disagree that superintendents and principals do not control
schools. Other than the point I have already ceded, the principals and
superintendent play a strong role in educational leadership and curricular
reform--at least in the district I sit on the board of.

I certainly agree that superintendents and principals control the schools, but I am not sure that the way in which that control is often exercised is healthy for the schools.

We have come a long way from the days when the principal got that title, because they were the "principal teacher." The principal was not out of the classroom, but merely the "senior teacher" who was responsible for the operation of the school. In that position, they were definitely part of the faculty and were treated as such by the rest of the teachers.

Now we have a situation where administrators often have minimal teaching experience, often having been trained as administrators from the very beginning. And their management style is distinctly top-down. Decisions that have a large impact on how teachers are expected to or are able to do their jobs are frequently made with very little, if any, input from the teachers themselves, the ones most affected by these decisions.

During my teaching career, I was involved in several outreach programs where it was clear to me that the teachers who were going to be involved were not consulted about their involvement. They were initially not excited about what was about to happen to them, and were pretty sullen at our initial meeting. It took a while for me to win their confidence by assuring them that I was not being sent to "show them how to do their jobs" but to act as a resource to help them do what they already knew quite well how to do, and to commit to them that, if they didn't see that I was contributing to their classes, all they had to do was tell me and I would be out of there, which no questions asked.

Once over that barricade, which I believe created by their administrators committing to the program without consulting the affected teachers, things worked quite well. The teachers were not threatened by my presence and we eventually became good friends and worked well together, but it was not due to any efforts on the part of the administrators.

I am a firm believed that school administrations should always be drawn from the ranks of senior teachers, and that, with few exceptions most administrative jobs (at least those which are directly involved with classroom activities) should be part time, with the occupants of those jobs remaining in the classroom at least part of their work day. I also think those jobs should be temporary, with the incumbents only holding them for, say, three or four years and then going back to the classroom.

This rotation of these administrative jobs would, I think, have a salutary effect on the actions they would take as administrators--making them think about the effect of their decisions on how things will be in the classrooms when they had to go back and live with those effects as teachers. This model has been successfully followed by many private schools.

There is no simple solution to the problems in our schools today, but it seems obvious to me that one of the things that would help enormously, would be elevating the status of teachers in our society, by a) paying them what we think someone of stature in the society should earn, b) giving them much more freedom to conduct their classes as they think best for their students (not without guidance from more experienced hands and lots of professional development opportunities), and c) demanding that the schools of education start turning out teachers well-trained in the subjects they will be teaching *and* in how to tach those subjects effectively.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar