Re: [Phys-l] Motion in 1D, vectors and vector components

Hi All,

PhET has some good free interactive simulations to help students learning of these ideas ... either instructors can use them in class to demonstrate points, or students can use them as in-class, or homework, or pre-class assignment.

The most relevant sims are:
Vector addition:
http://phet.colorado.edu/new/simulations/sims.php?sim=Vector_Addition
Moving Man (note you can turn on vectors and hide graphs if all you want to do is focus on vectors ... note also that you can use file menu in "Special Features" to reverse axis to show how how you define your axis determines what you consider negative and positive velocity and acceleration:
http://phet.colorado.edu/new/simulations/sims.php?sim=The_Moving_Man

Kathy

At 02:56 PM 8/13/2007, Rauber, Joel wrote:
John D. wrote in part:|
| On 08/13/2007 11:44 AM, Rauber, Joel wrote:
|
| > .... Actually
| > introduce vectors purely as geometric objects at first;
| i.e. arrows,
| > this is done briefly, but show adding and subtracting
| head-to-tail, etc.
|
| That's smart. That's important.
|
| > Then define velocity pictorially and acceleration.
|
| Yes.
|

| Of course the introduction should be "done briefly" ... but
| then you can spiral back to the arrows again and again,
| pounding on the point that a vector is a physical,
| geometrical object, not just a list of three numbers.

The spiral back part is important and useful IMHO, particularly to help
fight the tendency John mentioned for students to quickly forget the
geometric part of the discussion; of which there is a high danger if you
only do component calculations after having mentioned the "arrows".
I.e. one needs to specifically spiral back to the geometric drawings
every so often (or always) when you introduce new topics using the
vector methods.