Re: [Phys-l] explanatory and response variables (was calibration )

Ludwig Kowalski wrote:

It seems we must first agree on the operation definition of the phrase
" well established mathematical term."

Here is my suggestion: Randomly select 20 calculus textbooks in a math
library. A word or phrase is "a well established mathematical
term" if it is found in at least 80% of textbooks. The textbooks should
be up to 60 years old. Why up to 60? Because I was introduced to >these
two terms about 60 years ago. They were in Polish -- zmeinna zalezhna
and zmienna niezalezhna.

Why not just take a poll of Phys-l members? Although we are not
professional mathematicians, most of us are familiar with "well
established mathematical terms". I, for one, think that "independent
and dependent variables" are well established mathematical terms. These
terms appeared in many texts I learned mathematics from in high school,
college, and graduate school (although graduate school was 40 years
ago).

Has usage changed in recent times?

Don Polvani
Northrop Grumman Corp.