Re: [Phys-l] calibration

On Aug 7, 2007, at 11:30 AM, John Denker wrote:
. . . My point remains that simplification #2 has, AFAICT, no
connection to calling one variable "independent" and another
"dependent". If there is any connection here, I'm not seeing it;
please explain. I would treat x and y on an equal footing. . . .

The author of my statistics textbook refers to x as "explanatory" variable and to y as "response" variable. I suppose he does this because the textbook is mostly for people who never had calculus.
Ludwik Kowalski, a retired physicist
5 Horizon Road, apt. 2702, Fort Lee, NJ, 07024, USA
Also an amateur journalist at http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/cf/