Re: [Phys-l] calibration

My predicting (independent) variable, r, is plotted horizontally while
the inferred (dependent) variable is plotted vertically. That seems to
be more logical. But that is not the main point. I think that what
they call slope b (in the formula for the standard deviation of the
predicted concentration) should be replaced by 1/b', where b' is the
slope of my line. I will try to do this later and see if our results
agree. What was the numerical value of b that you used in their

Note that in general, the fit for y vs x is NOT the same as the fit for x vs y. So I would not expect the slope to be 1/b.

Also, another excellent reference on statisitcs is available from NIST. IT tends to focus on industrial statistics, but much of it is also applicable to general science work.
http://www.nist.gov/stat.handbook

Tim F