Re: [Phys-l] interaction

When two charged particles are in the vicinity of each other, each charged particle is exerting force on the other. A charged particle that is experiencing a net non-zero force is experiencing acceleration. A charged particle that is experiencing acceleration is emitting light. Light has momentum. If you tally up the momentum vectors of the two charged particles at an instant prior to when the charged particles are closest together, you get the total momentum of the two charged particles at that instant, what Bob called the momentum of the bare particles. If you tally up the momentum of the two charged particles at an instant after the two charged particles are closest together, you will get a new value for the total momentum of the two charged particles (again what Bob called the momentum of the bare particles) that differs from the original value by the momentum of the emitted light. The total momentum of the system consisting only of the two bare particles does not remain constant but momentum conservation still rules. The rate of decrease of the momentum of the pair of bare particles is equal to the rate at which momentum is being transferred to the surroundings.

________________________________

From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of Jack Uretsky
Sent: Sat 8/4/2007 5:50 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] interaction

Hi Bob-
I don't understand "the linear momentum is not conserved" (unless
you're including brehmstrahlung). Have I forgotten something?
Regards,
Jack

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Bob LaMontagne writes:
"I feel that some of the suggestions posed so far, like not using NTN
3 for fields, sweep the issue under the rug. Perhaps I'm just making a
mountain out of a molehill here, but all of this is part of
introductory physics courses and it seems that there must be a better
way to handle the terminology."
************
So far this thread seems to have considered fields modeling only
Newtonian gravitation action at a distance. N3 is significantly more
stressed if one considers electromagnetic interactions:

If you consider two electrons swerving past each other, the Lorentz
particle forces
are not in general equal and opposite, and the linear momentum of the
bare particles
is not conserved. We ascribe momentum and energy to the accompanying
fields so that the overall momentum and energy of the system are
conserved. This is a
testable model and works. (Eg. the fields can transfer real
"particle"
momentum/energy to distant objects.)

Ascribing energy and momentum to the fields makes the phenomena
tractable, as opposed to the impossible task of accounting for every
(however distant) particle in the universe which might be affected by
the fields of the two electrons of interest (not to mention the
problem of extent in time of these effects). It is indeed remarkable
that including the role of the fields allows us to treat the problem
as if it were an isolated, localized sytem and ignore the rest of the
universe, for a wide scope of situations.

The bottom line is that the system of two interacting electrons is not
simple two-particle system . . . there are other entities involved -
accountable by the
fields - whose momentum/energy must be recognized.

N3 envisions only interactions between two, otherwise isolated bodies.
N3
is at most clumsy in multi-entity interactions. The more fundamental
model of momentum conservation applies to all these situations - N3 is
corollary for the special case of an otherwise isolated two-body
interaction.

N3 was an ingenious insight of Newton into a basis for the
impossibility
of certain phenomena (eg., self acceleration). I always include in
teaching N3 an open discussion
about impossible feats which we could accomplish if N3 (more
generally,
conservation of momentum) were not true.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Emeritus)
www.winbeam.com/~trebor
trebor@winbeam.com