[Phys-l] Physics, chem, phys sci Modeling Workshops nationwide this summer

April 18, 2007
ANNOUNCEMENT (please forward to other teachers):

Modeling Workshops in high school physics, chemistry, and/or physical
science will be held in summer 2007 in Arizona, California, Miami FL,
Chicago IL, Kansas (three!), Massachusetts, Missouri, New York, North
Carolina, Ohio, Philadelphia PA, Pittsburgh PA, and Dallas, Texas.
Visit <http://modeling.asu.edu> for details. Click on "Modeling
Workshops Nationwide in Summer 2007".
Modeling Workshops are peer-led. Modeling Instruction is the only high
school science program recognized by the U.S. Dept.of Education as
EXEMPLARY.
At most sites, stipends and/or free tuition are available for in-state
teachers. (Teachers from any state can apply for funding at a Kansas site
and at Miami Florida.)

Teachers greatly value Modeling Instruction. Modelers from all over the
nation wrote this year:
* Modeling has changed the fundamental way I teach. I believe eventually,
maybe even in our lifetimes, all science will be taught this way.
* In the one year that I have been modeling, I have seen wonderful results.
* I love the modeling physics program and want to cheer for the difference
I saw in the understanding of my students when I implemented the Mechanics
materials for the first time last year!
* We have had 3 physics teachers and 5 chemistry teachers enhance their
professional development at your ASU modeling workshops. Modeling has made
a world of difference in our science courses and we are working to continue
this improvement.

Jane Jackson, Co-Director, Modeling Instruction Program
Box 871504, Dept. of Physics, ASU, Tempe, AZ 85287
480-965-8438/fax:965-7565 <http://modeling.asu.edu>
For 16 years, the Modeling Instruction Program has been
helping teachers attain knowledge and skills needed
to benefit their students. Modeling Instruction is the
only high school science program recognized as Exemplary
by the U.S. Department of Education.