Re: [Phys-l] pinhole camera

Michael Porter wrote:

On Apr 12, 2007, at 6:25 PM, Bernard Cleyet wrote:

There was an additional criterion posed by Michael P. viz. that the eye
substituted for the screen does not see the object:

Careful, there, you don't want to put your eye where the screen was, unless you are extremely near-sighted! This would be like trying to read a book by pressing your eye up against the paper. You need to back up a bit to put the image a comfortable distance from your eye.

That probably is what I had done using a projected image from a slide projector in response to a post claiming one couldn't see such a real image.

... However, I had always used the "pin hole" -- usually a
forefinger, rolled up in the thumb and finger angle, close to my eye, so
I didn't "know" whether magnification results when the aperture is
distant from the eye. I just tried it, curtains closed, using our front
door's faux stained glass window. Wow!

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here. Yes, you see the object through the pinhole. If you are nearsighted as I am, the object appears in better focus, but I don't see any magnification effects.

You are correct, thank you. I saw an optical illusion wherein the glass circle appeared larger, because I saw less of it (vignetting?). It was quite striking; now that I know better it's much less, like many optical illusions when disabused.

---
Michael Porter
Colonel By Secondary School
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada