From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf
Of Michael Porter
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 7:37 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] pinhole camera

On Apr 12, 2007, at 5:21 PM, Edmiston, Mike wrote:
My definition of real image would be more like... Light passing
through a particular point on the image came from a
particular point
on the object. That is, I see the object-image relationship as a
one-to-one mapping of light from one point on the object to
one point
on the image.
A pinhole does that. A pinhole does not do that perfectly, but as
John Denker said, a lens doesn't do that perfectly either.

I have to say, I'm a little surprised at what I see is a
somewhat fuzzy definition of an image that people are coming
up with (no pun intended...). Should we tighten it up a bit?
Aren't we all about nailing down the nit-picky details? ;-)

Yes, there is a recognizable "picture" on the screen of a
pinhole camera. But are we justified in calling it an image
and linking that picture to those created by lenses,
imperfect as they may be?

With a lens, the image is located where the
least-objectionable (most tightly focused bundle of light
rays) image is located.
What about a pinhole camera? No matter where you put the
screen, there will be a reasonably acceptable "image",
possibly as good as a lens. But the rays are diverging right
from the object. So where is the image? Everywhere? Or nowhere?

---
Michael Porter
Colonel By Secondary School
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada