Re: [Phys-l] God's reaction to prayers simply can't be explored by scientific study.

At 10:06 -0600 3/31/07, Brian Whatcott wrote:

I was interested to examine my reaction to this story. I noticed
that rationalizing the outcome was relatively fast for me.
And I laughed: people do indeed rationalize any result that gives
rise to conceptual conflict.

That certainly is a natural tendency, but I wouldn't say that it always happens. If it did, how would anything new ever get accepted?

However, it is certainly true that the religious ones were quick to attempt to rationalize these results, just a quick as they are to trumpet results which purport to show the efficacy of prayer.

If anyone here is moved to explore or teach the possibility of
mounting such a research effort in future, may I suggest that the
crucial measure would better be an outcome that may be altered
by ordinary human activity rather than a result that calls for a
miracle?

It does seem to me to be pretty hard to demonstrate something like the efficacy of prayer by any sort of double-blind research technique, since isolating the subject of the experiment will be nearly impossible, if not completely impossible. If God listens to all prayers, then that must include even those submitted outside of the study, and presumably, God would know which of those prayers were truly devoted to the desired outcome and which were pro-forma parts of the study and take appropriate action. So I would have to agree that seeking effects that are dependent on human or other natural causes are much more likely to be verifiable.

A reminder: a virtue of people with spiritual extension is that
they are led to be more kind, more loving, more generous, more
forgiving of transgressors - such social positives that one would
rationally wish such elements of faith to be propagated even if
one could know quite surely there was no basis to the Divine
spirit to which they appeal.

I guess I would be But in any case, I doubt that there is much correlation between the core beliefs of people and the presence of kind, loving or more generous actions. Many atheists are kind and loving, and there are many who profess high religious calling who are quite mean-spirited. One fact is well-known: our prisons are populated by atheists in a much lower proportion than their presence in the general population would imply. One can make of that what one will.

If one accepts this construction of faith, it is not fanciful to
realize that people exposed to negative human relations may
easily be damaged, and that people in kinder relations can be
invigorated.

I'm not sure what this has to do with faith. It does seem to be true that people raised in a kind and loving environment are more likely to be kind and loving adults, but it is much less clear that religious faith has any bearing on this fact.

Here's a less than scientific example of faith-based intervention.
It is found that drug-offenders (and others) who are exposed to
local faith-based support groups (driving them to Narc-Anon
meetings,finding them small easements etc...) have a better
recidivism rate than prisoners not so supported.
(The recidivism rate can be truly ruinous,
to them and to the rest of us: 80% and higher; the supported
recidivism rate can be surprizingly better, 15% and lower...)

I would certainly like to see the evidence for these statistics. Intervention vs. non-intervention might well have such effects if they are well designed, but I would question that such huge differences would appear between faith-based and non-faith-based interventions.

Hugh

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>
<mailto:hhaskell@mindspring.com>

(919) 467-7610

Hard work often pays off after time. But Laziness always pays off now.

February tagline on 2007 Demotivator's Calendar