Re: [Phys-l] rainbow

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard L Bowman
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:17 AM
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] rainbow

light coming through the lens of our eye impinges on all three receptors
at a"pixel" location in our eye. I was thinking that the CRT with its
spatially separate phosphors may have been the model Julie was initially
relating and thus I said our eye is not a CRT.

All three cone receptors are not at the same place - they are physically
separated, just as CRT phosphors are separated.
The different types of cones are also distributed differently at
different places on the retina. There are few short wavelength (S -
blue) receptors near the center of the retina, which is one reason why
blue light does not contribute much to our sensation of brightness.
Also, those born without one or more types of cones are colorblind.
See slide 21 at:
<http://groups.csail.mit.edu/graphics/classes/6.837/F03/lectures/20%20Co
lor.pdf>

Larry Woolf