Re: [Phys-l] rainbow

Dan Crowe made a good point. The original question about rainbows by Julie Quah may be interpreted two ways. I answered it through my own "colored lenses," so to speak. (Pun intended!) For the last several summers I have been the physics consultant to a middle school science curriculum project, and there always seems to be questions about 'how we see. color." I would rather have students begin to get an understanding about image formation through geometric optics, but either there are too many biologists on our state curriculum committees or this is a burning issue. I am guessing it is coded into Virginia's Standards of Learning (and whatever form many other states have, also). So, Julie, did any of these answers help?

I do agree with Michael Edmiston that our eyes are somewhat like a CRT in having three color receptors. But with my perspective on the question having to do with spatial separation of color on the retina, I'll try to clarify my response more fully. (I should have done this originally.) In the CRT, the beam of electrons from the electron gun must arrive fairly precisely at the spatial location of one of the three color phosphors for that color to be transmitted. While in the eye, it is the wavelength of the light that determines which receptor is turned on and how much; light coming through the lens of our eye impinges on all three receptors at a"pixel" location in our eye. I was thinking that the CRT with its spatially separate phosphors may have been the model Julie was initially relating and thus I said our eye is not a CRT.

Just a bit more clarification.

Richard Bowman
Bridgewater College, VA, USA