Re: [Phys-l] rainbow

I think that we have interpreted the original question differently. I
interpreted it as asking how we perceive one image that contains
spatially separated colors. Richard seems to be interpreting the
original question as asking how each color is processed by the retina
and brain. After rereading the original question, I'm not sure which
meaning was intended.

Daniel Crowe
Loudoun Academy of Science
dan.crowe@loudoun.k12.va.us
rbowman@bridgewater.edu 03/27/07 8:11 PM >>>
As Brian Whatcott pointed out, color perception by animals, including
humans, involves signal processing by molecules in cells and not
spatial separation of colors on the retina. In that sense our eyes
are not CRTs. Wikipedia has a reasonable article on the topic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_vision

Richard Bowman
Bridgewater College, VA, USA