Re: [Phys-l] Was, reading PER literature

If the teaching methods haven't changed over the last hundred years and they produced a plurality of Nobelists, etc. Why shouldn't that continue? I think those succeeded despite the poor teaching and will continue. Could not the "bad" method be "good" for those? The operative point is the large pop. and superior economy. However, I'd expect the number to remain constant while those societies w/ better methods and or larger pops. and or increasing economic status will eclipse the US. I hear the motivation of one sector of the ruling class to get out of Viet, I mean Iraq, is so "we" can tackle the real enemy, China. Tough.

Paradox resolved. I'm curious as to the ratio of some measure(s) of scientific excellence WRT pop., GDP/person, etc. Those above the line would be due to "better" teaching?

bc, who may comment further after a read.

Jack Uretsky wrote:

Hi all-
I agree with "stopped reading too soon". The familiar tactic is to trivialize a concern by focussing on an irrelevance; in the classic
pathology between spouses, the response to a spousal concern is "you're so beautiful (handsome) when you're angry!" (I've even had this from a class I chewed out for not preparing for a test!).
The operative comment, from one who should know, was:
"The paradox is this: as a lingering result of the golden age, we still have the finest scientists in the world in the United States. But we also have the worst science education in the industrialized world."
We have met the enemy, Bernard, and it is high time to admit that he is us!
Reply,
Jack