Re: [Phys-l] pseudo-force

I think what is being said is that you can only "feel" gravity if your
body is pressing against an object, the ground, etc. If on the ground, you
feel the upward normal force (registered on a bathroom scale). Now jump
off a cliff. Then there is no "apparent" weight, no upward support force.
You feel weightless as a scale under your feet now reads zero (without
air). So in this sense, you can't feel gravity.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
I'm confused by those of you saying we do not feel centrifugal force or
gravity. It is true that when I sit on a chair that I feel the chair.
But what about when I hold my arm straight out to the side, or more
difficult (for me), what about when I lay on the ground and try to do
leg lifts for very long. Am I not feeling gravity when I do that?
Something is pulling my legs down, and it isn't the floor because my
legs aren't touching the floor nor are they tied to it.

And if I am facing inward in a centrifuge with my back and arms and legs
being pushed from behind by the wall of the centrifuge, what if I try to
pull my arm away from the wall, or try to do leg lifts in that
situation. Am I not feeling a centrifugal force? And if the centrifuge
speeds up, don't my leg lifts get a lot more difficult?

Every morning when I wake up, I feel the bed. As I try to get out of
bed I also feel gravity. Lately I find the bed feels a lot nicer than
gravity.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University