[Phys-l] the one and only electron

On 10/26/2006 09:38 AM, Rauber, Joel wrote:

It was Wheeler that came up with the idea;

I doubt it.

which he bounced off of
Feynman. The statement often quoted; perhaps a tad apochraphal is: (my
paraphrase)

"hey Feynman, I figured out why all electrons have the same mass and
charge; its because they are all the same electron"

For the non-apocryphal version, see

Stückelberg, E. C. G. 1941
Helv. Phys. Acta 14, p 322

Stückelberg, E. C. G. 1941
Helv. Phys. Acta 14, p 588

* Stückelberg, E. C. G. 1942. "La méchanique du point matériel en théorie de la relativité."
Helv. Phys. Acta 15, pp. 23-37.

Feynman, R. P. 1948. "Spacetime Approach to Non-relativistic Quantum Mechanics."
Rev. Mod. Phys. 20, pp. 367-387.

* Feynman, R. P. 1949a. "The Theory of Positrons."
Phys. Rev. 76, pp. 749-759.

Feynman, R. P. 1949b. "Spacetime Approach to Quantum Electrodynamics."
Phys. Rev. 76, pp. 769-789.

especially the starred items. Feynman was at Cornell by this time (1945-50),
a long ways from Wheeler's stomping grounds.

FWIW, once upon a time I talked to Feynman about this idea. He told me
"that was Feynman's idea". (No, that is not a paraphrase, and yes, he
referred to himself in the third person.)

He cites Stückelberg in his publications, but it wouldn't surprise me one
bit if he re-invented it before reading Stückelberg.