Re: [Phys-l] pseudo-force

Ron McDermott wrote:

I suppose it would be pointless to attempt to point out that one DOESN'T "feel" a centrifugal force, but certainly does feel a centripetal force?

In principle, I also like to talk about "feelability" because it emphasizes the identical nature of gravitational and centrifugal forces as "unfeelable" inertial (or fictitious, or pseudo, or frame) forces and distinguishes them from "interaction forces," especially of the contact variety. On the other hand, I really dislike talking about "centripetal force" because it sounds like a force that only acts on objects moving along circular paths and that does so BECAUSE they are moving along circular paths.

The so-called "centripetal force" is nothing more than the instantaneous component of the NET force on an object transverse to its trajectory and it points (by definition) toward the instantaneous center of curvature of the trajectory. When observing an object moving along a circular path in a rotating frame, the centrifugal force may even contribute to the so-called "centripetal force"!

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and