Re: [Phys-l] Interactive Physics Simulations

On Oct 12, 2006, at 10:47 AM, Hugh Haskell wrote:

I don't know how others may treat it, but I look at the collision in
the center of mass frame, and define a totally inelastic collision to
be one in which the post-collision kinetic energy is zero.

Consider the case of two balls that strike each other with a nonzero impact parameter and stick together. I would call that a totally inelastic collision, but the two balls do end up rotating about their common center of mass with a rotational kinetic energy that can be quite substantial.

Better yet, consider the (not quite physically realizable) case of a particle attached to a massless vertical stick and another particle initially moving horizontally that strikes and sticks to the end of the stick. Is this a totally inelastic collision? Note that, in the CM frame, the final kinetic energy is equal to the initial kinetic energy.

Now some (myself included) would claim that rotational kinetic energy is "internal" energy. Thus, in the CM frame, the collision completely "internalized" the initial bulk translational kinetic energy of the two colliding objects and, in that sense, was indeed totally inelastic. (Note also that the separation speed is zero in keeping with the coefficient of restitution based definition of "totally inelastic.")

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and