Re: [Phys-l] Interactive Physics Simulations

Hugh wrote:

Of course, modeling a "real" inelastic collision is not simple, since
it necessarily involved distortion of the colliding objects and a
certain amount of microscopic intermingling to keep them together
and the collision time is relatively longer than with an inelastic
collision. But IP treated inelastic colisions in a fairly
simple-minded way, and I know that if I didn't do something
"unphysical" in constructing the collision, the two objects would
gradually drift apart, and this was especially true if one of the
objects was rotating.

I think there has been some confusion in this thread engendered by conflating "inelastic collision" with "sticking." No "intermingling" is required for an inelastic collision, but it may be for "sticking." Except in the most special of cases--e.g., head-on collisions between nonrotating objects--colliding objects WILL move away from each other after a totally inelastic collision unless they ALSO "stick."

John Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona
<http://www.csupomona.edu/~ajm>

and