Re: [Phys-l] Principle of Virtual Work

On 10/10/06, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

I know of one physics text that mentions PVW on the 24th page or
thereabouts.
It's a somewhat atypical text, by some guy named Feynman, with help from
Leighton and Sands. PVW is in the index.

Color me embarrassed.

It must have been a good experience to take a physics course where Feynman's
texts were the course texts. Is that still the case at CalTech today? My
introductory courses were mostly out of Halliday-Resnick clones.

In the group I ran with, PVW was routine. Taken for granted. No big deal.

Unfortunately, not for me. Not the group I took high school with in
physics, not my first year college group, not my fellow physics
undergraduate majors group. It's in my toolbox now, somewhere way down
deep, but I learned it late enough and have used it seldom enough that it's
never the first tool I reach for.

--
regards
-Krishna