Re: [Phys-l] coffee + cream (was: good questions)

This *increases* the value of the question in my eyes. Real life is
full of ill-posed questions. Students do not get enough classroom
experience dealing with ill-posed questions. Not nearly enough.

I have used this problem for years and never thought about the temperature difference between the milk and room. I wonder why not.

I agree with you John the value of the question is much higher when students have to figure out what is meant. There is a time and a place for those kinds of questions.

This is one reason I like to kick around significant digits at the beginning of the year. We don't mess with all of the rules for carrying out operations but I do ask them to consider how many digits in their answers have significance and I ask them to do so by pulling that significance out of the context rather by following blindly a rule like they did the previous year in Chemistry. On my first test I asked how far I had run in 1971 during each race, as a member of my schools 4 x 440 yard really team. I warned them to make sure they expressed their answer with the appropriate number of significant digits. As expected a good number of them resorted back to their rules from the year before and said there should be 2 sig fig because 110 has one trailing zero. Old habits are hard to break. We always spend a good deal of time discussing tests the next day. In that process I explained that there should be more sig figs because using only two would indicate that the person who laid out the track may have made it 430 or 450 yards and that was just not reasonable. After about 5 minutes of give and take where they argued for their rules, one student who had remained silent said "What about the hand off zones. If you consider those your uncertainty increase so that only two digits are significant since a runner may hand off slightly before the 110 mark or slightly after." I LOVE IT WHEN THEY CATCH ME LIKE THAT. I said ohhhhh... hadn't thought of that. I guess I will have to give full credit to all of you who used that reasoning to answer with two sig figs. To my complete astonishment all of my rule followers immediately chimed it "That's what I was thinking too."