Re: [Phys-l] fun ill-posed questions

On 10/10/2006 09:41 PM, Cliff Parker wrote:

*) You start out at point A. You travel strictly south for one mile. You
then make a 90 degree turn and travel strictly east for one mile. You
then make another 90 degree turn and travel strictly north for one mile.
You find that you have returned to point A.

Good stuff. How about making it less obvious that this is possible.

Less obvious????? Jeepers, I've never seen anybody (HS students, HS
teachers, or world-famous physics researchers) who felt that the correct
answer was too obvious. Indeed, I've seen people literally blanch as
the blood drained out of their face when they realized how badly they'd
been had.

Do you really know where point A is? Are you sure?