Re: [Phys-l] Help with pulse timing for Vernier Photogates (was: projectile motion lab)

Perhaps you may create the time by subtracting the appropriate columns. (One by another.)

I've found the Vernier staff very helpful. I suggest you try e-mailing or if time is important (pun intended) phone.

bc, too lazy to figger.

Matt Harding wrote:

All this discussion of the projectile motion lab, and I can't even figure out how to get the photogates to return a time interval (in my defense, I had evening parent teach conferences, followed by a couple hours helping my wife in her lab last night). According to the literature included with the photogates, use of the pulse timing mode should allow one to record the time interval between when gate 1 is blocked and when gate 2 is blocked. I'm using Logger Pro 3.2 with the photogates. The program auto IDs the channels as being connected to photogates, but I have to go in a select pulse timing mode (the default mode, I believe is motion mode). The data table then includes colums for Time, Gate State 1, Pulse Time 1, Velocity 1, Gate State 2, Pulse Time 2, Velocity 2. None of those colums seems to be the time between when gate 1 was blocked and when gate 2 was blocked. The "pulse time 1" colum seems to be the time between when gate 1 was blocked initially, and when it was
blocked for a second time. Not particularly useful as the ball should be passing through that gate only once.
Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt