Re: [Phys-l] URL syntax

Yep, I'm not batting a very good record today.

However, getting slashes and backslashes mixed up is very common,
especially for those of us who have used and are using Windows (where
backslashes are used in paths) as opposed to Unix (where slashes are
used).

I suppose it is for that reason that MS Internet Explorer will accept
either slash or backslash in the URL. That seems to me a nice feature
of IE. I am curious why John sees it as the mark of the beast. Why not
just have all browsers accept either slash or backslash? Is that any
different than having "autocorrect" turned on when you do word
processing? Should we advocate that word processor users should always
keep autocorrect turned off and assume the responsibility for correcting
their own work? Why is the apocalypse coming?

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Chemistry and Physics
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817
(419)-358-3270
edmiston@bluffton.edu

John Denker wrote:

No, the first URL was not correct.
The following replacement is not correct, either.

www.bluffton.edu\~edmistonm\double.flag.timing.pdf

There is no way that a backslash can appear in a correct URL.
Reference:
http://www.w3.org/Addressing/URL/5_BNF.html

Backslashes in so-called URLs are the mark of the beast. The apocalypse
is nigh.