Re: [Phys-l] not our majors now!

If I assign 6 homework propblems I keep my
teaching load tolerable by choosing at random which one or two I will
grade. If the student hasn't done thae one that's graded, tough. No
credit.

One possible solution to the problem of grading homework is to use one of
the homework services. Some like WebAssign have fees which would have to be
included in the course. Others like the UT homework service are free.
Research has shown that homework on a service or graded by hand have little
difference in terms of learning. The big advantage of the services is that
each student gets a different problem, or rather a problem with a different
set of numbers.

The only disadvantage is that services can not grade graphs, pictures, or
written equations. But they can pass these on to you.

The advantage is that the students get the solutions at the time the work is
due. In addition you get the grades, which you can look at before class,
and possibly use to shape what are doing. If this is done, then the
homework services may actually be very beneficial. This is one of the basis
for JIT (Just In Time) teaching, which does show higher gain.

Now of course they can cheat, but this is also possible on regular homework.
If they work in groups of 5 they must still submit 5 different
answers/problem.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX