Re: [Phys-l] Ballistics divertissement

Trust JD to catch the key (which I realized only on doing the algebra) and add some wrinkles.

Part of my problem was using the wrong analogies, or incomplete, because of other considerations, which JD also pointed out.
he also made clear my superficial understanding of lab vs. CoM frames, included in a 1956 class, has had lasting effect.

bc, couldn't even remember water rockets.

p.s. J. Sch.'s analysis, like JD's wrinkle on rocket fuel mass, reminds me of the evolution of assault rifles. Early ones w/ decorated heavy wooden stocks have become steel frames. tho. steel, still surely less massive. What is the effect on "kick" and efficiency. Is manoeuvrability and cost of production more important than reduced kick and muzzle speed? Are there other design factors I've missed?

John Denker wrote:

I'm having trouble figuring out what this thread is about.
So far it looks like a menagerie of different thoughts.

Rauber, Joel wrote:

A firearm w/ out a bullet is a rocket.

I don't understand what point this is trying to make.
-- A firearm (with propellant charge) *with or without* a bullet
satisfies the dictionary definition of rocket, and has the same
physics as a rocket.
-- A firearm (with propellant charge) without a bullet is a rather
inefficient rocket.
-- A firearm (with the same propellant charge) with a bullet is a
more powerful rocket.