Re: [Phys-l] Ballistics divertissement

However, using maths instead of qualitative reasoning I think I'm very wrong. I thought that w/ o the bullet the low mass POR (products of reaction) left w/ high speed. W/ the bullet much lower speed, but high mass, so the p was the same, therefore, the kick the same.

Assuming no friction E the same (no thermodynamic differences) and other factors I haven't thought of, and using the two KEs equal to E from the charge, and p = p' , I get:

m'v' (the kick) = sqrt(( 2E * m) / (1 + m/m'))

The mass of the bullet makes a huge diff. Assuming no algebra error or missing factor.

bc, chastened

Rauber, Joel wrote:

| | A firearm w/ out a bullet is a rocket.
| |

I get what you are saying now, my comments were with respect to the
firearm with bullet.