----- Original Message -----
From: "R. McDermott" <rmcder@gmail.com>
Should I take a kid who has a 90+ average on tests and drop his
grade because he didn't do his homework?

I'll only comment on this--YES. Not because the kid doesn't know the
physics, but because s(he) has not taken enough responsibility, does not
display sufficient work ethic to do 'what is required.' That's a life
lesson, but one, IMO, that should be part of our instruction. I
structure
my courses, especially my Gen-Ed course, such that one can pass the
course
by doing all the work (with some diligence). However, getting an A,
A-minus, B-plus requires that you pick up some real understanding of the
material along the way, with a B or B-minus for at least some minimal
understanding. Now if I were teaching courses for physics majors and/or
engineers, I would not be quite so generous! ;-)

Rick