Re: [Phys-l] not our majors now!

----- Original Message ----- From: "R. McDermott" <rmcder@gmail.com>
Should I take a kid who has a 90+ average on tests and drop his
grade because he didn't do his homework?

I'll only comment on this--YES. Not because the kid doesn't know the physics, but because s(he) has not taken enough responsibility, does not display sufficient work ethic to do 'what is required.' That's a life lesson, but one, IMO, that should be part of our instruction. I structure my courses, especially my Gen-Ed course, such that one can pass the course by doing all the work (with some diligence). However, getting an A, A-minus, B-plus requires that you pick up some real understanding of the material along the way, with a B or B-minus for at least some minimal understanding. Now if I were teaching courses for physics majors and/or engineers, I would not be quite so generous! ;-)

Rick