Re: [Phys-l] teaching energy

On Oct 3, 2006, at 11:07 PM, Krishna Chowdary wrote:

How does one address the rest mass energy of an object (I'm happy to limit
to fundamental particles)? When I say that an electron has rest energy
0.511 MeV, is that in reference to something else? I've seen lots of
interesting discussion about kinetic energy and potential energy. Where
does rest energy fit in?

In my mind rest energy is potential energy.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.