Re: [Phys-l] teaching energy

Hi Rob:

On Oct 3, 2006, at 5:08 PM, R. McDermott wrote:

Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that quantifying the energy contained in
the object is subject to your choice of frame? Choosing a frame doesn't
require a system of objects necessarily. In the case you cite above, for
example, it seems to me that the train itself is irrelevant, only the frame
chosen is a determining factor. If that IS the case, then there is still
nothing wrong with asserting that WHATEVER the quantity of kinetic energy
calculated may be, it is STILL "contained" in the object. Yes? No?

I really don't believe that energy resides in any single object, but in its relationship to something else. What is a frame if not a system of objects? For me to visualize a frame I generally ride it as an object within it. I'm ok with virtual objects. Hmmm. Maybe we're over-objectifying objects? Is this Mach's Principle?? Does kinetic energy exist for a single point object in a one-object universe??? Definitely metaphysics, but important to my mental models of energy transformations and interactions...

Dan MacIsaac, Assoc Professor, Physics, SUNY Buffalo State College
222 SCIE BSC 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>