Re: [Phys-l] Premed Requirements Commentary

Well, according to various researchers you need a certain minimum score on these tests to succeed in advanced courses. Normalized gain admittedly does not give that score, but it does provide a relative measure of how well you are doing in instruction. Hake showed that there is a weak correlation between the pretest and the final score, but the normalized gain correlated strongly with the type of course. Now as to where the researchers have gotten their information, I have not seen studies that validate their conclusion about the scores.

I am not the only one who thinks this way, I am just willing to be the most annoying and insistent.

The average physics course for premed and science majors should be able to get at least 60% normalized gain because most of these students have high scores on a Piagetian test, which is a good predictor of the maximum gain, and also a good indicator of thinking skills.

Unfortunately there is no way to go back and retrospectively test the hypothesis that low scores mean poor ability in engineering or science. But it should be possible to test it in the future. At present the idea that high scores may make a difference in employment, or even a difference in future courses is a belief or hypothesis, but then so is the opposite idea. There have been a few studies of subsequent courses, but I don't remember that there were any astounding results. This type of thing is difficult to study, while just measuring what happens in your own class is possible. If we had better tests that could be used for comparison, we would use them. At present there is no easily scored test for expert problem solving, but it is being worked on.

Incidentally Beth Thacker did find that her elementary ed teachers who took her high gain reformed course did better on standard problems than the conventionally taught engineers. Only on the more complex problem did they not do as well. So there is more than FCI scores, but that is the only thing we can easily cross compare.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

JC constantly harps on 'gain'--normalized gain on the FCI is what I assume he's referring to--AS IF this is a proven, meaningful measure of something. Of what? Does it predict which students will end up being good scientists, good engineers, good doctors, good Indian Chiefs? Without such a correlation, then the results of one (now ancient) test, a test that CAN be taught to, a test that is limited to a narrow conceptual and topical area, a test that (admittedly) requires a lot of student/instructor work to do well on, is only a tiny piece of data. As many of us have commented--look to your graduates and their successes or failures to evaluate the educational program. If you can show that there is a general failure to understand Newton's Laws that is causing bridges to fall, causing people to be misdiagnosed, that is holding back the frontiers of science research, etc., then we can all be much more worried about 'gain' and lack thereof.