Re: [Phys-l] Interim Report on the Hake List Methodology.

Nicely understated, Brian.
Jack

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006, Brian Whatcott wrote:

At 01:33 PM 8/4/2006, Richard, you wrote:

If you reply to this long (10 kB) post
///
Doug Lederman (2006), in his cogent Inside Higher Ed article "A
Near-Final Report?" writes [bracketed by lines "LLLLLLLLL. . . ."; my
inserts at ". . . [.....] . . .":

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
The Secretary of Education's Commission on the Future of Higher
Education . . . .[see listing of reports at IHE (2006)]. . . released
the next iteration of its report Thursday. . . [COFHE (2006] . . . .
. . . . . . . . .
The new draft finds the commission treading largely the same path
that it started on with the second draft

///

I may have mentioned before that I am predisposed to
accepting Richard's viewpoint on the topics he addresses - but
reading this present note, I see that the wood goes missing within
the first paragraph on account of the trees.

If it takes a hostile abrasive response to make Richard's message
more accessible to its intended audience: I'm your man!

1) The "I am the wise counsellor, follow my instructions carefully
on reading my note" tone? If I were not the kind, diplomatic,
socially aware contributor that I am, I would say:
Pretentious, overblown, boring.

2) How about trying this way...
Start with a Summary. Place the evidence in footnotes.
Offer the cites "On request". Yes I know: that hurts.

3) Making a note pleasing to the eye is surely a minor concern
- but it couldn't hurt either.

4) Aiming for 30 lines of new text commentary or less
would be a worthy aim. That's twice as much as I wrote here
for example.

Respectfully Yours,

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!