Re: [Phys-l] Physics First Research

Kathleen Jo Lowry (2006), in her Phys-L/Physhare/AERA-B post of 7 Jul
2006, titled "Physics First Research," wrote:

"I have been teaching high school physics and chemistry for 15 years
in Texas and, since 2003, I have additionally been teaching the
online astronomy
course for the University of North Texas. I am also a graduate student at
Texas A&M University and currently doing research for my dissertation towards
a PhD in Science Education. I was hoping that I could make some contacts on
this list that would help me construct a list of schools that offer 'Physics
First'."

Olga Livanis's Physics First page at
<http://members.aol.com/physicsfirst/> / "Schools", where "/" means
"click on," features a list of "high schools across America that may
be broadly described as teaching Physics First. This includes those
that teach the sequence Physics-Chemistry-Biology
Physics-Biology-Chemistry, Integrated Science, and Physical
Science-Biological Science to name a few."

In addition, there's a lot of other Physics First information at (a)
Olga's site <http://members.aol.com/physicsfirst/>, and Leon
Lederman's Project ARISE (American Renaissance in Science Education)
site at <http://ed.fnal.gov/arise/index.html>.

For additional Physics First information:

1. See the two articles: "Physics First: Precursor to Science/Math
Literacy for All?" [Hake (2002a)] and "Physics First: Opening Battle
in the War on Science/Math Illiteracy?" [Hake (2002b)].

2. Go to the PhysLrnR search engine at
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=physlrnr&X=-> and type
"Lederman" into the "Search for" slot to obtain 83 hits as of 19 Jul
2006 12:05:00-0700, 53 of them due to myself. [You will need to
subscribe to PhysLrnR in order to access it search engine and
archives but it takes only a few minutes to subscribe by clicking on
the archive URL
<http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/physlrnr.html>, and then clicking on
subscribe using the "NOMAIL" option under "Miscellaneous." Then, as a
subscriber, you may access the archives and/or post messages at any
time, while receiving NO MAIL from the list!]

3. Go to the Physhare search engine at
<http://lists.psu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=physhare&X=-> and type "Lederman"
(without the quotes) into the "Search for" slot to obtain 108 hits as
of 19 Jul 2006 12:10:00-0700, 34 of them due to myself.

4. Go to Google <http://www.google.com/> and search for "Physics
First" (with the quotes) to obtain 111,000 hits as of 19 Jul 2006
12:15:00-0700.

5. Take a look at the recent interesting article by Vázquez (2006).

6. See the Summer 2006 AAPT Announcer abstracts by Len Bugel (2006),
Fred Myers ("grandfather of Physics First") (2006), and Ken Ford
(2006).

24245 Hatteras Street, Woodland Hills, CA 91367
<rrhake@earthlink.net>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~hake>
<http://www.physics.indiana.edu/~sdi>