Re: [Phys-l] Women Earn 46% of Undergraduate Math Degrees butRepresent Only 8% of Math Professors ??

This is a subject G. Hardin dealt w/ at great length from many directions, environmental, moral, economic, social, etc. He was seen as a radical then w/ some lefties accusing him of fascism and even sexism. Bartlett is somewhat the Colorado version.

My first post was hours after I'd written so I'll add.

The Swedish evidently believe in at home people. The wife of my friends' recently fathered son abandoned them. He stayed at home w/ a munificent grant to raise his child 'till school age. The language has a word for house husband. I wondered why Sweden could afford cradle to grave support, e.g. education, health, the above example, etc. then realized it's probably because Sweden no longer has an empire. Erik told me when he married Carla, his tax reduction was so great he had just as much disposable income. After raising her two boys she returned to elementary teaching. I must ask if her /elem. ed. cred. from UCSB was all she needed in Sweden. My wife's B.A. from UCSB was sufficient for her to trench music in an infant school in England.
Rant: And I can't substitute teach in Calif., because I haven't passed the CBEST, even w/ a Ph.D.

Richard Tarara wrote:

What's been 'forced' on people is the expectation that one must live at a
level beyond the means of a single salary--pretty much regardless of how
high that single salary is.

Not initially true. Since ~ >1975 children can no longer expect to be 'better off" than their parents. This is a result of the graduates of the trilateral commission beginning w/ Carter and accelerating w/ Reagan (not a member, but hired them). In the UK it was Thatcher. In order to keep up w/ their parents spice must work. I agree the zeitgeist now compels those fortunate enuf not to work to also work. It's curious that the cpc * crowd excoriate the middle class for abandoning their children to nannies and child care, and then force poor mothers into workfare.

* conservative politically correct

There IS a real problem at the lowest end of
the socio-economic spectrum, but there is also the problem that children
are produced by people who don't have the economic (and sometimes other) means to raise them.

This is probably another topic where we should turn to the research--and I
have seen only a little--to see what it says about sending children--0-5
years old--off to day care versus full-time parental nurturing.

Rick [Wondering also who JC thinks is responsible for this care--the tax
payer?]

[Dealing with women in the workforce with statistics, is a prime example of
where we need to remember Mark Twain's musings on statistics. Probably the
best (and worst) that can be said is that it is getting better but is not
yet perfect.]