Re: [Phys-l] Women Earn 46% of Undergraduate Math Degrees but Represent Only 8% of Math Professors ??

At 12:48 -0600 6/2/06, JMGreen wrote:

No, his msg is that women who chose the occupation of motherhood --
an occupation far more valuable than a professorship -- should be honored.

But men who choose the occupation of fatherhood (by doing the things that a mother has been traditionally expected to do) are typically belittled in our society. Is this the right way to run a ship (of state or any other kind)?

My point was, why is it women who are excoriated for desiring to have a life outside of child-rearing, while it is considered the norm for men?

And while the subject has been raised, on a planet that is bulging with more people than it can ultimately support without wreaking havoc on what is left of the planet, I think it is time that parenthood in general be somewhat less honored than it has been in the past. I don't think we need to do a poorer job of raising those children that are here, but it would be a good idea to let people have the option (that is to say, without being criticized for it) of not becoming parents.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams