Re: [Phys-l] Active Learning forums?

The idea that it is difficult to change was not intended to be intimidating,
but rather to show how difficult it can be. So one should not be
discouraged if active learning strategies seem difficult. The best way to
get into it is to take an multiweek workshop from Laws, Thornton & Sokoloff,
or the Modeling Workshops at AZ State, or a course with McDermott. At least
2 weeks are required, and a 1 day workshop will not help anyone change what
they are doing. I think the Nobel Laureates phrase would only be applied to
those who spontaneously come up with the new ideas that really work. For
everyone else there are workshops and commercially available curricula.

But anyone who wishes to ease into it, then the interactive lecture is
probably the best way. First the published "Interactive Lecture
Demonstrations" are very tightly choreographed. So by following them
exactly it is possible to improve learning. Then Eric Mazur's book "Peer
Instruction" comes with a method and questions that can be asked. It takes
several years to be comfortable with his method, but all the necessary
materials and instruction are provided.

Finally if there is a lab component, the Real Time Physics labs are an
excellent substitute for the conventional verification labs. Ideally the
RTP labs should come before the lectures on the topic. They work with
little intervention by the instructor. But if the instructor understands
what is going on, the labs will work better. For labs with limited time the
"Tools for Scientific Thinking" labs distributed by Vernier are cut down RTP
labs.

There are other methods, but many of them require a bit more understanding
and experience by the instructor. The main problem is to start with
something that can be implemented, and then work towards making other
changes after that has been successful. Generally textbooks are of very
limited help. However for HS the Minds-on Physics series has an extensive
set of instructor manuals which give a lot of good advice. Some activities
in MOP could be used profitably I a college course.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Basically students are told to be active learners, but they are not
forced
to practice it. It takes about 160 hours or so of active learning for
most
teachers to change their methods. I presume it would take the same for
students to change the way they learn. Only the top 5% or most
brilliant
individuals are capable of spontaneously making radical changes in the
way
they teach or learn. They are the equivalent of the Nobel laureates of
education.

Wow, thanks for the summary. I have been trying to encourage more
active learning (that is, ideas based on PER) in my classes, but now
I'm somewhat intimidated by the whole "Nobel laureate" thing. :)

I think an *active* forum on practical application of PER would be
very useful, and while Bernard's Google search was kind and helpful, I
was hoping someone here would have personal knowledge of a useful
forum. Most forums I've seen online appear sparsely populated or
abandoned.