Re: [Phys-l] Active Learning forums?

On 6/2/06, John Clement <clement@hal-pc.org> wrote:

Basically students are told to be active learners, but they are not forced
to practice it. It takes about 160 hours or so of active learning for most
teachers to change their methods. I presume it would take the same for
students to change the way they learn. Only the top 5% or most brilliant
individuals are capable of spontaneously making radical changes in the way
they teach or learn. They are the equivalent of the Nobel laureates of
education.

Wow, thanks for the summary. I have been trying to encourage more
active learning (that is, ideas based on PER) in my classes, but now
I'm somewhat intimidated by the whole "Nobel laureate" thing. :)

I think an *active* forum on practical application of PER would be
very useful, and while Bernard's Google search was kind and helpful, I
was hoping someone here would have personal knowledge of a useful
forum. Most forums I've seen online appear sparsely populated or
abandoned.

Thanks.

Scott A. Hill