Re: [Phys-l] "Flow"

Michael Edmiston wrote:

To be precise, when we talk about the flow of momentum, we are
usually talking about _conservative flow_. This is discussed in
detail at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/conservative-flow.htm

Among other things:
Any decrease in the amount of x-momentum in a given region of space
must be exactly balanced by a simultaneous increase in the amount of
x-momentum in an adjacent region of space.

Also:
Conservative flow = change + balance + simultaneity + adjacency

For details, see http://www.av8n.com/physics/conservative-flow.htm ...
I don't feel like cutting-and-pasting the whole document.

Let's take an intangible non-physics <something>... news. Does news travel?

The flow of ideas is a fine example of _nonconservative_ flow.

Flow is one of those words that has several meanings, some of which are
very precise and technical, while others are not. Physics uses such
words all the time; examples include
field
mass
conservation