Re: [Phys-l] "Flow"

Peter Vajk essentially asked if JMGreen might just be transferring or postponing reification of energy by passing it onto work. I was thinking that also. The first thing I noticed with Jim's original question was that he never mentioned gravitational potential energy at the beginning of his sequence of events leading to the temperature of some water increasing. Was that just a word game to avoid saying that the energy of the system was originally in the form of GPE, and through a series of events the GPE of the weights decreased and the thermal energy of the water increased, and thus within the system the energy converted or transferred from one form to another?

In the bigger picture I guess I don't understand what's wrong with talking about the components of a model as if the components were real? Energy is a concept... so what? If the model (in which the concept of energy is used) describes energy as flowing, and if the model has proven and is proving useful, then so what?

I broke that into three bracketed portions so we can discuss each portion separately. What is the <something>? Does it have to be tangible; something we can hold in our hand? Does <flow> require a fluid entity?

Let's take an intangible non-physics <something>... news. Does news travel? We generally say it does. "News travels through the grapevine." Now there's a double non-real description... news is not tangible (it's just mental) and it certainly doesn't get from one place to another by grape vines. Yet almost everyone beyond a certain age knows what that phrase means. News can flow through the postal service where the pieces of paper "containing the news" literally flow through the sorting machines and end up getting from some origin to your mailbox. News can travel by waves whether old fashioned (ship-to-ship signaling lanterns) or more modern radios of various types.

Are we going to suggest that people shouldn't talk of news traveling because the only things that can travel are tangible things?

Energy in the form of mass in hydrogen atoms in the sun eventually ends up arriving at earth as electromagnetic waves. Are we going to say energy didn't travel from there to here? Is it wrong to say solar energy flows from the sun to earth?

If we embark on a campaign to remove reification from physics education, and we get too picky about words like "flow," I don't think anything particulalry good will come from it, and useful analogies will be lost. If we are sticklers that people should speak more carefully, and language they find useful should be avoided because that particular language is not literally true, then the news through the grapevine will be that physicists are indeed the geeky out-of-it weirdoes that many people already think we are.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817