Re: [Phys-l] reflections

The question is not if, but when for rather intelligent non human animals, for example:

http://www.pri.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ai/essay/6_mirror.htm

And about those dolphins, PBWS (proof by web site):
Although there were methodological problems with some earlier studies, it is now broadly accepted that chimpanzees, bonobos and orangutans can recognize themselves in mirrors. Claims that dolphins and gorillas can pass this test are disputed. And all other species examined (including fish, dogs, cats, elephants and parrots) react to themselves in a mirror either not at all or as if the reflection is another animal.

http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/14338

bc, googler

p.s. written before this am's downloading; birds "run into" glass, as sometimes does bc, because they don't see the glass. Some practical people paste "stuff" on the glass w/ the intended result.

Josh Gates-fac wrote:

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> on