Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

I'm still having a problem visualizing the positioning stages that John described, but I was rereading his post on that, and I realized I have another problem with his thought experiment.

He said to align the moving stages with F1, F2, and F3 respectively, and adjust their operation so that they accelerate with a1 = F1/m, a2 = F2/m, and a3 = F3/m. Okay, but they could also be adjusted to F1/k, F2/k, and F3/k where k is any number.

That means his accelerations are independent of the mass; or stated in other words... the mass has no bearing on the accelerations he chooses. That means his accelerations are not uniquely determined by F1 + F2 + F3 = m(a1 + a2 + a3). Therefore I still say he has not shown that a1, a2, a3 are occurring as specified by F1 + F2 + F3 = m(a1 + a2 + a3); that is, he has not shown that the specific N2L acceleration for each force is occurring.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817