Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

Thanks to JD for the 3 uniaxial translation stage Gedankenexperiment! Very ingenious.

I must admit that I was quite unhappy with his previous examples, because it seemed to me that he was just muddying the waters with things like (from a previous message, 5/1/06, 10:24am):

"The car accelerates relative to the table, and the table accelerates relative to the floor. The acceleration vectors add."

This bothered me on two levels:

(1) In intro- & general-level physics classes we have to constantly hammer the point that in constructing a force diagram, you only include forces acting on the particular object whose acceleration you are considering.

Now in General Physics the class already knows how to add vectors, both graphically and using components. We already practiced that in adding relative velocities, for example: The wind is blowing at a certain velocity v1_vector, a plane flies at velocity v2_vector, find the velocity of the plane relative to the ground. I don't recall off-hand doing a similar example using relative accelerations, but I'm sure my students would consider it routine, having successfully added relative velocities.

_BUT_ notice that adding relative accelerations seems to be quite different (at least at first glance) from adding up forces. All my forces are acting on the same object, whereas the accelerations are relative as in the quote above: the acceleration of the car relative to the table, the acceleration of the table relative to the floor. Again, at first glance this appears quite different, separate accelerations due to separate forces acting on _different_ objects. Some force acts on the table, moving it across the floor, some force acts on the car, moving it across the table. Yet it seems obvious that the vector addition of accelerations means that there are forces which could be added, too. A key realization is that if the car weren't accelerating relative to the table, it would be because it was subjected to a force of the same magnitude and direction as that to which the table is subject, in this case a friction force acting on the car. So in short, we can add the relative accelerations OR we can add all the forces acting on the car. It doesn't matter. My first objection down.

(2) In special relativity F = gamma m a, still for constant mass cases. Our naïve vector addition for velocities and for accelerations fails, whereas we can still make force diagrams and find the net force acting on an object. How do we resolve that?

Must go back to preparing finals now. I wish I had time to follow this discussion more closely.

Ken Caviness
Physics Department
Southern Adventist University