Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

At 09:24 AM 5/1/2006, you wrote:
Let me change something that I earlier presented BY BOLD ASSERTION to a
question, even though I risk the wrath and the ridicule of the demi-god(s)
of this list.

IS PHYSICS ALGEBRA?

Just because we write an algebraic equation to relate physical quantities,
do ALL THE RULES of algebra necessarily apply to the physics. Must nature
obey our artificial mathematical rules? Can't forces cause accelerations
even in the equation we have used to MODEL this can be rewritten to
_suggest_ that accelerations cause forces--or that nothing causes anything!
Does physical causality have to follow our attempts to represent the physics
with algebra?

Rick

Richard W. Tarara

Since Rick asks a direct question, In the spirit of helpfulness,
I will provide a direct answer.

Physics is not algebra.
Equations do not imply causality.
Causality is a slippery topic, not to be subsumed by
three term algebraic equations.

There is great comfort in supposing some causal term and some
consequential term, in some familiar equation more so than
in some other. It appeals to one's reasoned prejudices.
But supposition does not invoke observational evidence.

I am glad that my summary judgment resolves the concerns of the
august. It is just possible that it won't. But that is not my concern,
I am happy to report. :-)

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!