Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

Brian McInnes wrote:

.... I know what a set of force vectors acting on a particle is; I do not know what a set of acceleration vectors relating to a particle is.

Well, you *should* know what acceleration vectors are.

Surely you know that displacement vectors add.
-- 1 meter north plus 1 meter west equals 1.414 meters northwest

Surely you know that velocity vectors add
-- wind triangle: aircraft velocity (relative to air)
plus wind velocity (relative to ground)
equals aircraft velocity (relative to ground)
[with due regard to sign conventions]

From there it should not be much of a stretch to understand how
acceleration vectors add.

If what is written is a claim that when a particle has three forces acting on it there is a separate acceleration associated with each force, well, I just can't buy that.

It just amazes me how people can form such strong opinions without
a shred of objective experimental and/or theoretical support.

Acceleration is a vector. Force is a vector.
The math is the same, and the physical interpretation is the same.

Dan Crowe wrote:
Because I believe that forces cause acceleration,

It's hard to have a scientific discussion about what people "believe"
and what they will or won't "buy".

If you believe that force causes acceleration, would you pleeease
suggest an experiment that demonstrates this?????? Otherwise I
will continue to believe it is merely an opinion about which end
of the egg to open.