Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

Hi all-
This thread seems to disclose a basic lack of understanding of the concept of a "vector". Perhaps the confusion will be lessened if we write
N2 as (LaTeX notation)
\vec{F}_{net) = m\vec{a}_{net}
or, in words,
"the vector representing the net force = the mass times the
vector representing the net acceleration"
The projection of this vector equation along any direction remains a (correct) scalar equation.
It is possible to decompose a vector into a sum of any number of other vectors; such a decomosition is not unique, so it is meaningless to speak of a (net) vector as being "composed" of a particular set of other
vectors.
There are many ways to represent a vector. One instructive way, in 3-space, is to represent a vector as a set of 3 numbers:
\vec{V} = [x,y,z] You may, if you like, write each member of the
set as a sum of n other numbers. Doing so, corresponds to an n-fold decomposition the the vector \vec{V}.
Exercise: Show that there exist n-fold decompositions of vectors F and a leading to n scalar N2 equations, where n is an arbitrary number.
Argue that this n-fold decomposition can be spoken of as the result of
"n forces acting on the mass m".
Regards,
Jack