Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

Michael Edmiston wrote:

What do the equations say about the superposition of three electric fields. Do the equations say there are three fields at that point, or one?

Before I answer the question, let me point out that the answer
cannot possibly provide evidence in favor of the notion that
"forces cause accelerations and not vice versa".
-- Electric field at a point is a vector.
-- Force is a vector.
-- Acceleration is a vector.

The math is the same. The physical interpretation is the same.

The laws of physics do not give any preference to forces relative to
accelerations.

To answer the question: The equations are silent on the issue.

To be specific, suppose
Etot = E1 + E2 + E3

Then there is *no* equation that can tell the difference between Etot
and (E1 + E2 + E3). This cuts to the core of what "equals" means.

This is the "substitution property of equality"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Substitution_property_of_equality

This answer has nothing to do with the physics of forces or accelerations.
This comes from the uttermost foundations of arithmetic.