Re: [Phys-l] teaching different descriptions of "reality"

It was never an "accepted view. Photons have forever been
transverse, and the represent the quantized transverse part
of the vector potential. See Jauch & Rohrlich, <Theory of
Photons & Electrons> (Addison-Wesley 1955), pp. 100 ff with references dating back to 1926. I quote from that:
"In the original formulation of the quantum theory of
radiation by Dirac [1926] the electromagnetic field was
separated into a radiation field and a static coulomb
interaction."
Subsequent work, notably by Schwinger (1948 et seq.),
focussed on making Dirac's formulation covariant.
Regards,
Jack

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006, James McLean wrote:

>>Jack Uretsky wrote:
>>

>>> The answer to your question is, "No". ...

> On Tue, 25 Apr 2006, Bernard Cleyet wrote:
>>Huh?
>>
>>Just today (before reading the below) someone * at UCSC told me it was
>>virtual photons.

What about BC's underlying question? I also am sure I have heard from
reliable sources that the Coulomb force is mediated by the exchange of
virtual photons, although I've never really understood what was meant by
that.

Is this not an accepted view any more? Or is "exchange of virtual
particles" somehow not really the same as "due to particle exchange"?

Cheers,
--James